August 22, 2007

The Final Announcements (2007)

A lot of interesting announcements today, including additions to Real to Reel, Gala Presentations, Special Presentations, and Masters, and the announcement of the Dialogues and Mavericks programs (all have been updated to reflect the announcements).

A couple things that caught my eye:

  • After a disappointing lineup last year, I'm tempted by several films in Dialogues. I doubt I'll be able to pass up the opportunity to hear Sidney Lumet talk about one of my all-time favorites, William Wyler's The Best Years of Our Lives, and I can't imagine getting another chance to see a print of John Ford's Bucking Broadway.
  • Jimmy Carter is a Maverick!
  • The Jia Zhang-ke and Wang Bing films have been added to Real to Reel.
  • I've just begun scanning the list of guests, but I'm pleased to see so many directors' names.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, several of those Dialogues entries look really promising. Quick elementary question: the Dialogues series doesn't require a special pass, does it? A 10-film pass should suffice, I take it?


Darren said...

Dialogues works just like everything else. I guess the only difference is that there's only one screening.


Anonymous said...

Cool, thanks.


Darren said...

I just noticed that Jia is on the guest list this year.

Also, would I lose all of my cinephile cred if I went to see Walk All Over Me just for the opportunity to see Tricia Helfer in person? I figure that since CinemaScope is now publishing articles about Battlestar Galactica I can come out of the closet as an obsessive fan.


Anonymous said...

Darren, I'd take the opportunity to see Tricia Helfer in person ... and I don't even watch Battlestar Galactica. :)


Michael Guillen said...

It would take some accomodation, but, sure, I'd still respect you. Heh.


Darren said...

The complete film list is now online, as are the Gala and Visa Screening Rom schedules.


Crunchy Squirrel said...

I wonder if anyone else noticed...on the full film list, there are trailer icons, though none are active yet. Frankly, I'm glad they're finally adding this. Should make the research process a little less painful.


Crunchy Squirrel said...

Also...what on earth is The Shock Doctrine? It suddenly popped up in the Contemporary World Cinema programme, it's listed as being directed by Alfonso Cuaron, Jonas Cuaron & Naomi Klein, but IMDB lists it as a short film and it's on none of TIFF's press releases.


Parabola said...

Looks like The Shock Doctrine is a short film/trailer for Klein's upcoming book of the same name. I'm assuming it will precede the showing of some other film in that programme.


Darren said...

The trailers aren't working yet, but they seem to be pointing to a potentially-bitchin' Flash app, The Screening Room.