Tuesday night I received official word that I'll have full press credentials for TIFF this year, which will be a first for me. The confirmation email mentioned where and when to pick up the pass (Sutton Place Hotel, beginning on 9/3) but didn't offer any insights into how the process works. I'm planning to attend public screenings, for the most part, but I'll balance out my schedule with press screenings, and I'm hoping to pick up a few interviews along the way.
I've already picked up some tips from friends, but I'm looking for more advice from press veterans:
- When is the schedule of press screenings typically announced?
- How much time should I allow between press screenings? Are there lines?
- How do I schedule interviews? I've already exchanged emails with the press representative for the Wavelengths program. Can I assume the other programs have similar people whose job it is to coordinate interviews?
- Any TIFF-specific interviewing advice? How early should I arrive? Can I expect them to be on schedule? How much time am I likely to get with a filmmaker? I assume this varies according to the level of buzz/celebrity?
- Any favorite stories from past TIFFs?
- Other advice?